Session:How to be excellent to each other - a discussion
|Description||An open discussion on how to improve diversity at c3 events and on dealing with cases of harassment.|
|Tags||c3, ccc, harassment, diversity, resilience|
|Language|| en - English |
en - English
|Starts at||2017/12/30 12:00|
|Ends at||2017/12/30 13:00|
|Location||Room:CCL Hall 3|
An open discussion on how to improve diversity at c3 events and on dealing with cases of harassment. After the events involving the Wau Holland Stiftung on 34c3 a discussion took place between people of the Stiftung and proponents of a community code of conduct with the result that both sides identified similar problems that need new solutions  . With this meeting we want to open the discussion from a small circle to the whole c3 community and find a way forward.
Further Communication and Planning
People who are interested in further discussions and want to connect themselves can contact User:Sandzwerg
We will have follow up conversations and meetings on Easterhegg and GPN (at least). Planning is ongoing.
Incomplete arguments from our discussion
Note by blackepear: During the discussion I tried to collect as many arguments from everyone as possible. Only very few are mine. Please feel free to correct me and add arguments I missed.
On orga and „us“ as the CCC
- "What actually have right now is a benevolent dictatorship. I'm happy it’s benevolent, but I'm not sure the community realises this and that it acutally is what the community wants. If it is what the community wants, it's fine with me."
- Orga is not accountable as there is no information on lots of issues and cases.
- As CCC we want openness from governance, why do we accept that there is no openness here?
- We cannot afford to be silent at the moment.
On congress and policy
- We have to accept that we are all different and like different things, this is why „only do to others what you want done to you“ does not work. This means there is no „common sense“ and thus no „use common sense solution“ possible here.
- We are losing women in local clubs and we need to find ways not to do that. (Note: input from local Vorstand)
- We need data to shape policy and gain understanding. When releasing all data is not possible (i.e. for victim protection) using different degrees of transparency is one possible solution.
- We need to talk about strategies for dealing with problem cases. Congress needs to be the strategy development engine for the smaller units of CCC where there are less resources, time and opportunity to develop strategies.
- As we do not all come from open and tolerant communities or backgrounds, a code of conduct needs to include information for people to develop and grow on and borders for people who don’t want to develop. (Note: participant mentioned coming from Russian orthodox background and was thankful for help developing into congress (?) culture)
- A code of conduct is a way to communicate acceptable behavior when personal communication with each individual is not possible.
- A code of conduct needs to allow for difference, so that we can be different and individual and feel and be safe at the same time.