The Radio Operations Center provides the Camp and Congress with radio (speech) communication. Also coordinate the Frequency Permits with the BnetzA and clearing the usage on the camp.

The radios are used to co-ordinate

  • Buildup
  • Teardown
  • Security
  • NOC
  • VOC
  • CERT
  • Orga

amongst other things.

Radios are used for 1:n communication when it's crucial to have several people listen to the information broadcasted. For all 1:1 communication we use either DECT or GSM.

Why do you need radios if you have the internet?

Radios are a reliable form of 1:n communication. No need to check IRC or mails all the time, or rely on Wifi for connection. Also the radios will work even if GSM, DECT or internet are down (and a good way to communicate on how to fix these).

Why won't you use DECT or GSM?

DECT and GSM are still widely used for organizing the event. However in quite a lot occasions you want 1:n communication rather than 1:1 communication. Especially for reacting to emergencies or broadcasting questions to several people, it's great.

Can I bring my own radio?

No you can not. We are using our radios on licensed frequencies. We can not allow unlicensed radios to be on the same frequencies for legal reasons (that's the reason why you won't find the frequencies used in here).

What kind of radios do you use?

We use Motorola Digital Mobile Radios. They are a little bit on the expensive side, but allow us to use two speech channels on the same frequency as well as some other features of the DMR standard.

Do these radios have hack value?

Of course they do. However we kindly ask you do NOT use your equipment to try to listen in to or disturb our frequencies, since they are crucial for the safety on the camp. We do have equipment to find you, should you transmit on our frequencies. If we do find you, we'll unleash the HonkHase.

But, what if I am interested in how DMR works?

If you are interested in how DMR works, it is best to talk to the Chaoswelle, our ham radio folk.

Can I use my own RF Equipment on the camp

Sure you can use SDR, PMR, remote Controllers etc., but note, only on freely usabale frequnecies. In Europe those are:

  • 27 MHz CB radio (Yes, still in use)
  • 433 MHz ISM Band (Shared with HAM radio)
  • 446 MHz PMR Band most Walkie Talkies are here
  • 866 MHz ISM Band Mostly use for Home Automation, Remotes, Loran etc.
  • 2,5 GHz ISM Band Careful, WiFi and Bluetooth use the same range.

I like to broadcast TV and radio

You need a license for that, we will have DVB-T2, DAB, FM and maybe Shortwave radio here. The Transmitters will erected by us. For making content, please contact c3voc and the radio team.

  • Own transmitters will be not allowed. If you have cool project, you can contact us.

Can I use Hamradio ?

Yes Hamradio is very wellcome on the camp, just contact Chaoswelle, our ham radio folk.