Hackers Against Climate Change
From 35C3 Wiki
Revision as of 23:54, 21 February 2019 by Laryllian
|Description||Meetup/Discussion for Hackers concerned with Climate Change|
|Keyword(s)||social, political, hardware, software|
|Tags||Climate, Climate Change, Klima, Klimawandel, Kickoff, Global Warming, Sustainability, Environment|
|Language||de - German, en - English |
de - German, en - English
(Click here to refresh this page.)
|Starts at||2018/12/27 17:00|
|Ends at||2018/12/27 18:00|
|Location||Room:Seminar room 14-15|
|Starts at||2018/12/28 18:30|
|Ends at||2018/12/28 19:30|
|Location||Room:Lecture room M3|
|Subtitle||Meetup, Discussion #3|
|Starts at||2018/12/29 19:00|
|Ends at||2018/12/29 20:30|
|Subtitle||It is the same time and place as Extinction Rebellion 🔥🔥🔥|
|Starts at||2018/12/30 14:00|
|Location||Room:Lecture room M1|
- c3sustainability team (project page)
- Connecting hackers and climate justice groups (notes: https://pads.c3w.at/code/#/2/code/edit/Cco-lJAubqTVsAZCaml61GFD/)
Are you concerned with climate change? Do you apply the hacker mindset to it? Or do you want to?
This meet-up is about getting in touch, exchanging ideas and connecting congress attendees.
Let's start a platform for discussing this topic.
Notes from the session on Day 1
Notes initially taken by User:blipp. Please fix errors and add to it.
Each of the following points is from a person in the room, more or less literally written down. Sometimes I couldn't reconstruct the person's entire comment or the URL. Different points might be from the same person.
- In November 2018 there was a conference in Berlin "Bits und Bäume" ("Bits and Trees", about 1500 people) organized by CCC, FIfF, OKF and enviromnental organizations concerned with the intersection of sustainability and digitalization.
- someone who personally attended the climate conference shared the following quote: at the moment people (politicians) are looking for exponential technology solutions. We should help them figure out, with our domain knowledge, which of them are actually helpful (because probably it is not Blockchain).
- there is a lot of climate change denial even in people that are active against climate change, because we still _behave_ like there is no climate change.
- someone mentioned: Niko Paech, Professor for ecomonomy (especially post-growth-economy), sustainability researcher
- We should focus on changing the system and not only on climate change itself.
- blog on climate science, energy transition and society, caring about distribution of scientific results: https://clisciety.wordpress.com
- https://github.com/JuliaEnergy/PowerDynamics.jl: Package for dynamical modeling of power grids
- Für clisciety und PowerDynamics.jl --> bei c-base Lia suchen (oder strangeliATposteo.de anschreiben)
- http://worrydream.com/ClimateChange What can a technologist do about climate change. (not exponential stuff)
- Eva Infeld shared the following: System change is also about elections. Wants to create an app to gamify street campaigning. Come to the tea house to discuss!
- Tackle big industries. Support big campaigns, for example in the energy sector, Free the Soil. There are campaign about cars. Campaigns rely on people power. The change rarely comes from politicians. Use your skills to support campaigns that already exist.
- https://www.imagineearth.info/ A world simulator game. futuristic persuasive approach. Looking for testers and feedback, and contributors. The game has a few hours of playing time.
- http://gainforest.org/ Deforestation is responsible for a lot of carbon emissions. Protecting trees is hard. Predict deforestation with AI using satellite images.
- hacker camps should be more sustainable. Energy meters etc., Solar grids
- https://twitter.com/altpwr For the hacker event in 2017 https://sha2017.org/ we build the world's first fully Open Source, low-voltage, decentralized, transparent DC grid.  and . If interested in helping contact Hackerspace Revspace in Den Haag, the Netherlands: Ralph Willekes <benadski (at )gmail.com>
- If you want to discuss about deforestation in the Amazonas: can we convince people to deinvest in products that generate deforestation?
- Carsten (dakse<ät>posteo.de), interested in the degrowth discussion. Important Question: Individual change or system change? Researcher Felix Ekardt: It is a ping pong effect, politicians are only able to change the entire system if there is already change going on from below, and more people can act sustainable on individual level if such behavior is encouraged by the rules and incentives of the system.
- during last congress a list of challenges was compiled, what individuals can do personally and how to trigger more change. For example: be a multiplicator: convince three people to change their energy supplier.
- He suggests that we form a group that works towards a climate neutral C3 event, for example 36C3.
- Tim: https://github.com/kolossos/energy-tests . Wind energy plants. Analysis of german power grid. And other hacking projects on energy (in the github-wiki).
- Timo was involved in “changing cities” in Berlin, lobbying for a law to improve cycling, walking, public transport. He wants to improve city life. He is founding the Cyclever company, for parcel logistics using cargo bikes and electric cars; looking for input.
- Broadening the scope: There are more existential risks than climate change, if you are interested in that, google it ;)
- a directly actionable solution: use an adblocker, this decreases traffic and computation usage.
- Ecosia is a search engine that spends ad revenue on re-forestation.
- Claudia is interested in starting or joining a divestment campaign w.r.t. to deforestation.
- Rene: Agriculture is an important field, which can have a positive impact on climate. For example by burying CO2 as humus. He wants to found a think tank, create a web page to help farmers to find ecological ways to feed us.
Notes from the session on Day 2
Link to Mailinglist: https://hacc.uber.space/mailman/listinfo/hacc
Notes from talking with PL regarding sustainable congress/camp
Notes from the session on Day 3
Day 4 session 14:00 @M1
Organiser here - I'm sorry that I did not deliver a great session. I said what I want to do - a few slides and then split into smaller groups. Too bad my energy levels were not there and I'm worried I did more harm than good - confusion, lack of organisation. I'm so so so sorry, missed a great chance.
Alongside Extinction Rebellion
Let's use that momentum, let's reconnect once again!
Group "General on Climate Change and Actions for Individuals" https://pad.totalism.org/p/general-climate-change