Feedback

From 23C3 Public Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
  • Did you like the 23C3?
  • Do you want to tell us something?
  • Do you have any recommendations for improvements for 24C3?

This is the place to write them down.

  • If possible sort your notes under a heading or start a new one.
  • Please sign your notes.

(There is also a feedback telephonenumber, provided by the POC and administered by the CongressRadio, which can be called at 01801 585 585 8379 (outside of Germany please use 0049 1801 585 585 8379 instead.
It is a sipgate-telephonenumber and can of course be called from sipgate at: 585 8379.
If you are using web.de Freephone or freenet iPhone or Iptel please call: 01801 585 585 8379.
If you are using FreeWorldDialup or callUK or Gossiptel or Gradwell please call: **777 585 8379.
If you are using Sipphone please call: 1777 585 8379 and if you are using Telio please call: 000777 585 8379.
The CongressRadio editors will look after your messages and produce a CongressRadio PhoneCast with your feedback. Thanks.)


Contents

General Notes

The 23C3 T-Shirts and Sweatshirts were sold out before I could get one. Cato 00:53, 2 January 2007 (CET)

And they were too big for me, even S. It would be nice if there could be a few XS or girlie sizes next year.--Beate 01:07, 2 January 2007 (CET)

I actually had some trouble reaching the Hacker Ethics hotline... but this may be a timing issue as everybody was asleep by that time. But I tried a few times during the day and nobody picked up the phone, too. What about some kind of time schedule for the hotline? yorn

I could not reach the hotline too, so i did what my heart told me :) --weed
Was there an external abuse hotline this year? I could not find anything about it in the public wiki... --volty 10:35, 4 January 2007 (CET)
One kind of a stickers was available for free as I checked in (26.12). Inddeed there were other/dedicated notebook stickers available.

I wait for the Proccedings as PDF File When will they publisht.(AVIGO)

Many of the lectures I attended were overcrowded. Every seat had been taken, people were standing at the walls and there were still people trying to get into the room. I think the bcc was filled to the limit this time, if even more people attend next time this could cause serious frustration. --Kurt 22:07, 3 January 2007 (CET)

It sure felt like a f*cking lot of people. Do we have some official visitor's numbers? Is the bcc the largest congress center (or whatever kind of public building) in the city? -- g3nie 23:53, 3 January 2007 (CET)
4200 visitors was mentioned. -- Ra 15:03, 4 January 2007 (CET)

My girlfriend didnt attend to the 23c3 because it wasnt worth 80€ to her - 50€ would have been ok. Maybe the entry fee could be reduced next time for women (would this also increase the number of female participants?). I´m not sure wether this is the right way - your opinions? -- Ra 15:03, 4 January 2007 (CET)

Interesting point. Let's face it, we DO have a problem with diversity / equality: if it remains as it is today, we will continue to have a VERY unbalanced gender mix, but if we try to create a better balance by encouraging the underrepresented gender by a lower entrance fee, we will favor a specific gender. It is a deadlock, meaning a compromize is needed. As I am sure that there are a lot of women out there who are "in theory interested" but for whom 80 EUR are simply too much to "give it a try" and buy a pig in a poke (katze im sack). Obviously this also applies to some men, but as women are underrepresented, I think lower entrance fee for them is justifiable for the purpose of fostering diversity. Some of them will only come once, but at least those who were still undecisive but who do like it, will come again and spread the word. In the end, the CCC will benefit from it. --volty 14:20, 7 January 2007 (CET)
I have to agree that 80 euros were very hefty, especially when almost anybody else I asked got in for 35 euros, either with ALG2 or with a false pupils ID. For doing nothing, or creating fake ID's the people get in for less than the half of what I paid.(Or even less since I paid even more to also start a new membership.) That's just lame and also the most propable reason why I'm not coming next year. Chip273 10:55, 5 January 2007 (CET)

The air was really dry. Altough drinking 3-4 bottles (~6Liters) of water a day I still had sore lips. Maybe set the air conditioning not so dry next time. Chip273 10:58, 5 January 2007 (CET)

Wristbands

I did not like this years Badges so much. They scratched and rubbed the skin. Except for it they aren't suitable as Souvenier and memory so well. The Badges of last year were better I found. wonderer

See Wristbands. I'd love to see that changed next year.
I approve this. And I would really love some nice stickers for my notebook as well. --Swoon 20:04, 2 January 2007 (CET)
I approve of getting rid of the wristbands too, however if they absolutely have to be used, please use devices designed for this purpose, such as those used at the last Camp or at WTH. They were nowhere near as irritating as the scratchy things used here. --RiscTaker 19:12, 3 January 2007 (CET)

+1 The wirstband was terrible. It itched. Pleace have some decent badges next year. --Vm73 15:17, 4 January 2007 (CET)

Can't confirm that. The wirstband feels quite smooth, i haven't washed my left hand since the end of 23c3 :-)
Couldn't sleep with that damned wristband, had to cut it away, was too annoying for my nightly silence. Chip273 06:10, 6 January 2007 (CET)
I didn't have any problems with the wristband, because I let it a bit loose, so I could take it of before going to bed. Maybe this wasn't intended to be like this, but hey, maybe it was my own reallife hack ;) But I'd really like some free handout stuff when buying the 'ticket'. Last year we got an indymedia paper and also a Datenschleuder. -- Andi 19:12, 3 January 2007 (CET)
i liked the wristband, typical festival-quality and better than the whatthehack-plastic! but yes, the keychains from the years before were cooler, since they still have a practical use and are a nice souvenier.

Sponsoring

Get yourself a sponsoring and cut down the entrance fee. I don't know what happened with google, but I guess you just demanded too much, else I guess they would have paid it. Get a Seperate Sponsoring for each "saal" i.ex. .. So you do not get too dependand on one of them. Every 10 people LAN party gets sponsors, so why not this 4000 people congress ?

There was already a lot of sponsoring. But have you seen what you get at a "decent" lanparty? Shirts half filled with spam from companies you don't want to know, big billboards with spam and a couple of banners on the website.

Do you want that? BugBlue 15:25, 7 January 2007 (CET)

Athmosphere

Art & Beauty

I would appreciate if sometimes someone would clean up the hackertables in Art & Beauty-Lounge. Mostly they looked like a garbage dump, and it got worse the 4 days (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken-windows-Theorie). Besides the Congress was great!--Beate 15:32, 31 December 2006 (CET)

Also Art & Beauty: There where too few couches without any electricity for notebooks. I think this was intended by creating the wooden tables, but they wheren't very comfortable to sit a few hours.--Beate 21:28, 1 January 2007 (CET)

The lounge was a MAJOR improvement to the last years. It had much more space and so it was easy to find a place where you could camp for some time. True is that they were not the comfortablest thing you could imagine, but it is much more important that you can find a place to sit down. They should definitly make a comeback next (this:) year. cekayy

The lounge was great, although I often encountered it to be full, so maybe some more space would be great, or some more relaxable spaces in the ring areas. Webmind 16:47, 3 January 2007 (CET)

Hackcenter

It was - for my taste - a bit too dark in the hackcenter. I mean, darkness is great and everything, but not 24/7. That's just bad for our eyes and general feeling... Also, cleaning up between each day would be very cool, but not so easy to realize I guess. Oh, and there were some probably danish people who seemed to be there only for drinking and smoking weed. I don't know how to prevent this in the future, but why did these people even got reserved space in the hackcenter?! SECuRE 18:14, 1 January 2007 (CET)

I agree, especially since it was right in front of the phenoelit lounge, which looked like a better place for this ... I also found it a bit dark, but the ambient light was really nice this year- maybe turn down the lights later in the evening? --J4n 19:24, 3 January 2007 (CET)

Some sort of compression is needed for the hackcenter (like two person per chair?), so more places are available there. --Zwansch 10:43, 2 January 2007 (CET)

The dark colored light @hc was absolutely perfect, really good ambient conditions. We loved it - Thank you. No stress with tables so far, but i would prefer more chairs (i found mine up in C4). --weed

The hack center was too dark. Being there too long hurt my eyes. To much weed smoke hanging around. --vm73

Way too much light in the hackcenter and not enough ashtrays ·
Next year an alcoholic bar in the hackcenter would be a good idea ·
Preventing the danish vikings is impossible! Why do you think they had a reserved table? ·
Besides.. I thought the danish people were very friendly and forthcoming ·
TEAMBIFI :)

Nightcinema

I haven't seen any advertising on the night cinema. Was there any?

Conference

Anything from time schedule to presentation language.

Feedback to each talk can be given by clicking at the green link at its page in the Fahrplan.

General behaviour of the audience

Seems like people liked getting into rooms during lectures, this is just disturbing for the listeners. Would be nice if you could be there when the lecture starts in future if you're interested in the talks or if you'd stay outside if you're not. Thanks. SECuRE 18:16, 1 January 2007 (CET)

/me thinks the same. --Beate 21:24, 1 January 2007 (CET)
/me, too. These bunches of people always attending late and (of course) wanting to take a seat on the opposite site of the room were annoying! --Leralle 21:42, 1 January 2007 (CET)
Get used to it. Bureaucracy for regulating who can enter and who not is even more disturbing. --Zwansch 10:03, 2 January 2007 (CET)
Well, it was just a wish to all listeners. Not the request for a "bureaucratic" regulation, I know that this would not work out. SECuRE 20:20, 2 January 2007 (CET)
I have to admit that I also am one of those who entered the lectures when they were already in progress; there were just so many interesting things happening, that I wished I could everywhere at once, as that is not possible, though, I had to enter or leave some ongoing lectures. Of course, I tried to be quiet and such; te only patch for that kind of problem I can think of right now would be finding a building with more space. More ideas? --g3nie 23:53, 3 January 2007 (CET)
/me, too. And I think that one of the reasons for people constantly popping in and out was that we there were no TVs in front of the lecture halls that showed what was going on inside. In fact, there were WAAAAAY too few TVs for people to gather in front of and follow lectures! Last year, there were a couple of areas with 5 TVs, one for each lecture hall and one with CTV, plus IIRC at least one TV in front of each lecture hall. Please provide more TVs next year. --volty 10:32, 4 January 2007 (CET)

The Fahrplan this year was much better than last year. There was enough time to move to the next venue. Please keep it that way next time. The "Inside VMware" was in Saal 2 which was heavily overcrowded. And Saal 1 was almost empty during that time. Please place interesting speaches in Saal 1. --Vm73 14:57, 4 January 2007 (CET)

Mate bottles falling down once a minute during the lectures was really disturbing. Seems like ppl can't hold still their legs even for a minute. Never heard something like this at other conferences/events. -- Matsch 12:48, 13 January 2007 (CET)

Questions during/after talk

I found it quite irritating that questioners in the smaller rooms didnt stand up when asking their questions. That wasnt so much of a problem in Saal 1 with the fixed location of the mics. But in all other rooms the mics were passed around. More than once the speaker wasnt able to adress the questioner directly because he didnt know the location of the questioner. Not that much of a problem but (IMHO) quite irritating.--Andyz 13:13, 3 January 2007 (CET)

I'll hope that next year every speaker tells the audience that they have to stand up if they have a question and get to the static microphones, as we had 2 of them in every lecture room. The real problem is: The most guys who have a question are to lazy to go to a microphone. And the audioangels have the choice to pass the mic around or the question will not be recorded. And i think most of them will choose number 1, not the best, but the right decision. (Bad english. If somebody want's to correct this: have fun. ;) ) --Helmut 17:28, 3 January 2007 (CET)
Your English is not bad, mate. There were multiple problems. a) lecture halls were sometimes too overcrowded so audio angels could not even reach the people who had question - a maximum attendee limitation should be enforced next year to prevent overcrowded rooms; b) heralds should note in their announcements that it is a matter of respect to raise hand and wait for microphone before asking a question; c) in the smaller halls the audio angels could have been more attentive as to who has a question and then hand them the microphones - maybe stand in front and look at the audience to detect if someone has a question in time; d) audio angels should not take the microphones away again immediately because there may be a followup question; e) the audio angels can forceask the questioner to stand up. --volty 10:49, 4 January 2007 (CET)
I had an "official order" to give the microphone not away. Everybody who has a question had to stand up and get to the static mic. So just cancel a to e. ;) --Helmut 22:40, 4 January 2007 (CET)
I know, Helmut, and I disagree with that "order" :) For Saal 1, yes, it was possible, but for the others it was simply not appropriate. This is certainly something we need to discuss for next year. In a completely overcrowded room, people also cannot get to the mikes and ask their questions there :) IMHO it should be made as convenient as possible for the audience to ask questions into the mike, otherwise they won't do it. --volty 14:26, 7 January 2007 (CET)
IMHO a maximum limitation should not be enforced, be it for the congress itself or just for the lecture rooms. Much of the congress' atmosphere comes of this 'overcrowding'.
IDEA: How about a sign on the door that states that a talk has started? --Andyz 20:20, 4 January 2007 (CET)
I agree it is part of the atmosphere. I actually took care of an overcrowded Saal 2 once by blocking the door telling everyone that the room is overcrowded and that they can enter at own risk, whilst I highly advised against entering and recommended to use a stream instead. Opening the door just a few centimeters was enough to convince most folks, and most of those who DID decide to enter came back out a few minutes later. Yes, I like your idea with the sign ("session has started, please enter quietly and close the door behind you" & "room overcrowded. ATTENTION. enter at own risk. please consider using a stream instead."), but what is also needed is a TV in front of EVERY lecture hall entrance via which people can follow the session inside without having to go in. --volty 14:34, 7 January 2007 (CET)
A me too about the overcrowded rooms. But I'd prefer a "Room full: Do not enter" sign. Becase "enter at own risk" is not only your own risk but also for all the other people in the room.

TV B Gone

After quick stop for food on our way home, there was no more annoying TV at this Burger King: Autohof Wendhausen A2, Exit 57, Braunschweig, B248 Direction Lehre Go have a look. Perhaps somebody at Burger King meanwhile actually notices that their 3 TVs went dark. As every year thank you for a very nice time in Berlin. --Dirk 15:05, 31 December 2006 (CET)

Nice toy, but why does almost every user have to test it on the congress TV TV's? BugBlue 15:26, 7 January 2007 (CET)

Because they weren't taped shut by somebody feeling responsible enough to do so. versuchsanstalt 19:46, 7 January 2007 (CET)

Language of talks

Perhaps there should be a hint: if a speaker is better to understand in is motherlanguage than in english, he shouldn't talk in english. There where a few examples where german speaker talked in english and could hardly be understood.-- Beate 21:24, 1 January 2007 (CET)

// I do not agree. Please think of the many visitors from other countries who definitely liked some non-perfect English better than German. I'm glad that C3 became an international event and we should thank the lecturers for recognizing that even though their english might not be perfect. I also can't recall any "hardly understandable" lectures. Chef 23:54, 1 December 2007 (CET)
// I do not agree too. I had the feeling that a big part of this years visitors came from other countries. More than in the last years. I think this is the right direction. -- cekay
// I partially disagree/agree as a non-german speaker I love that it is getting more and more international, but I don't think it's useful if someone tries to speak english but ends up speaking something nobody understands. Webmind 16:53, 3 January 2007 (CET)
// I do not agree - as an english or french only speaker, I think any english content provided by a non-native speaker was another presentation I could attend. I went to a number of sessions presented by non-native english speakers, and did not find any of them impossible (or even difficult) to understand. --Llamatron 16:40, 5 January 2007 (CET)

One other thing that should help a lot for foreign visitors is if the title and introduction on the schedule is in english for the english talks, and in german for the german ones. It's really annoying when you go to a talk that you think is in english and the speaker starts talking in german.

OK, not about the talks,it's general about languages, but I need to share this. I (beeing a helper/angel) at the cloakroom, hated the people who could not decide on what language to use. When I start German, and smo. replies to me in English, I assume that this person can't speak in German, seeing the same guy replying again speaking German as a Mother/Main Language is just annoying. Hey people, if you can use a language, then use it! Don't change back and forth every 2 seconds that's confusing and annoying. Chip273 06:30, 6 January 2007 (CET)

Talks...

I would recommend a new "flag" for the lectures, indicating what kind of audience is targeted. For example: rookie, experienced, 1337 hax0r, or whatever. I went to a talk that turned out to be _very_ basic and yes, i read the description in advance and didn't see any hints for this. If I know in advance that the topic may be too hard or too basic for me, I can spend my time elsewhere... yorn

^100% agree weed
Full ACK!! --volty 10:51, 4 January 2007 (CET)

I agree. There were many talks on a novice level. Please indicate in future which skills are required to attend. The best talk at the conference in my opinion have been "Inside VMware", "Black Ops 2006 - Viz Edition", "An Introduction to Traffic Analysis" and "The worst part of censorship is XXXXX". Some talks had very knowlegable lecturers but they kept fly on high levels, e.g. "Router and Infrastructure Hacking". I want to see a good mix between presenting research results and how they got to the results. The JSON RPC lecture was terrible. It actually had nothing to do with security. It was just lame. --Vm73 15:07, 4 January 2007 (CET)

/ I'd rather concentrate on clarifying the subject on the talk. As everybody (as we all know) at the C3-Events is an uber-l33t haxx0r, this could lead into some serious issues as nobody would dare to attend rookie talks, even though these might be pretty enlightening. A clearer subject from the lecturer could be helpful though - What's what we're going to see? --Chef 11:09, 5 January 2007 (CET)

Some sort of indication would be good - if people really can't handle being seen at anything other than "0mg teh l33t!!1!" sessions, that strikes me as their loss. It might be a problem for some, but I met plenty of people there who seemed mature enough to handle admitting they didn't know everything. The Traffic Analysis presentation was a perfect example - it could have been something horribly basic, but it turned out to be quite good. --Llamatron 16:26, 5 January 2007 (CET)
Thinking about it, it may not only be the content level that makes me go to a session. If I consider myself an uber-l33t haxx0r on practical, technical aspects on surveillance systems, I still might find an intro-level talk on the same subject interesting if it targets the theoretical and political implications of surveillance systems, without me feeling attacked in my uber-l33t haxx0r knowledge. Idea/example:
The care and feeding of human guinea pigs
entrance level -o- expert level
theoretical --> practical
political <-- technical
Maybe this could also be an aid in the Fahrplan session distribution... --volty 15:30, 7 January 2007 (CET)

Workshops

  • I'd Like to see more workshops next time, I really like to follow the talks and get the information, get some new ideas. But sometimes just building something or getting some hands on experience works so much better. Webmind 16:53, 3 January 2007 (CET)

I've attended the SnortAttack.org Workshop. The workshop started late and the introduction was terrible. I gathered no insight to their project. Just hacking some old vulnerable PHP stuff which requires a lot of research first is not interesting. It would have been more fun when they would have disclosed the vulns with the idea to test the effectivness of their Snort signatures. --Vm73 15:13, 4 January 2007 (CET)

Dear Vm73.

  • Our workshop didn't start late. Look at the timetables before speak.
  • The introduction was, i admit, not among the best ones, but WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK ANYTHING ABOUT IT?
  • I gathered no insight to their project : that was not our target, look at the workshop description! And... oh yes, during the workshop did you make any question about it?
  • LOT OF RESEARCH? to hack a non-protected site like the workshop one it may take about 5 minutes. If you have no knowledge about that, please, don't speak at random
  • disclosing the vulns? there were a huge amount of vulns... try to search in the internet... it was not a class for dummies, it was a class intended for hacker... there are a lot of exploit for the phpnuke or mambo or php or apache version we bring to CCC. If you don't know where to find them... maybe you also don't know how to use them.
  • During the workshop we were (explicitly) always free for questions or any kind of explanation needed: A LOT OF PERSONS ask us a lot of question, they where very interested and we talked a lot with those people, about our project, our imlementation, our target, the state of art of IDS/IPS... TELL ME: why YOU didn't you ask US anything? FEAR, UNCERTAINTY, DOUBT? bah!

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mouth is not a great solution... try to change it

--User:nicola.snortattack 20.00 18 January 2007 (CET)

Topics

Missed the topic of AGW anthropogenic global warming. Yes this is hacking of our environment.--Roboter 18:22, 6 January 2007 (CET)

Streams/DVB-T

  • The streams are very addictive - when they were working. There is more stability on my whishlist for next year - and the promised DVB-T. --weed
  • The DVB-T idea rocked. :-) cekay
  • When the network was operational the streams worked like a charme. Good job! --Vm73 15:13, 4 January 2007 (CET)
  • I agree! DVB-T is a MUST for the next Congress! - Yorn

Power

I have seen some smoked away outlets on the morning of day 1 in the hackcenter. I guess they were repaired/replaced pretty fast since the table was full that afternoon. Chip273 06:00, 6 January 2007 (CET)

I guess we definitively need more outlets, especially in the conference rooms under the (listener)seats would be nice to have some, so you do not need to get away when your laptop batteries get weak. They can do that at the university, why not at the CCC ? Chip273 06:00, 6 January 2007 (CET)

Network

Did it work for you? Are there features you miss?

Did work most of the time, great work! SECuRE 18:17, 1 January 2007 (CET)

The problem with the backbone switch (out of ARP table space) affected me about a day, I was not able to connect further than the local switch (think so) no matter through wired or wireless. As stated during the closing event, the wireless LAN may have been working, though I could not use it in any lecture room or near many people - meaning nearly nowhere nearly not anytime it was not possible to get a connection, I think due to overload of the access points. I know that its not easily achieveable to have 4200 people and a wlan running with everybody happy, but perhaps some more switches in the lecture rooms may help, as well as perhaps more access points. Also I think it is not appropriate to say the WLAN had no problems. Anyways, thanks for the effort to the network team! One should be able to live without the wire too, so its not a too bad thing :) --Methos 18:32, 1 January 2007 (CET)

Yes, the DHCP server often only sent DHCPNAK, so there more capacities are needed. --Zwansch 10:40, 2 January 2007 (CET)

The network was incredibly stable and fast - thanks a lot. Probably Gbit to hackbook nex year? --weed

The network works most of the time, but in my eyes very unstable! Maybe next year a bit better hardware & Admin ;-) --Wonderer 11:45, 3 January 2007 (CET)

The wireless worked fair enough, considering the up to 1600 parallel users- I only DHCPNAK in the -fixed networks, where it was intended I suppose. Coverage was also good, (only in the lecture halls as everywhere else there where Ports available). Cable network was fine all the time. Personally I did not notice the outage when the Core Router had problems. But in the end, there is always some kind of problem with the network hardware ;) --J4n 19:33, 3 January 2007 (CET)

Sure, there were some minor troubles now and then, but for me it worked, I'd say, 95% of the time, so not a big problem (/me only used wired) --g3nie 23:40, 3 January 2007 (CET)

During the first two days the WLAN was most of the time out of order at the areas where I have been. The last two days it was perfect and speedy. --Vm73 15:15, 4 January 2007 (CET)

Please get some gigabit port per user next time, 100M is just not fast enough if you want us to "use more bandwidth" ! Chip273 10:36, 5 January 2007 (CET)

Please also test the Wifi roaming between the different rooms (with bad, inbuild antennas) next time. I had some connection drops while moving from 'Ebene C' to the hackcenter. It's not that important, but working roaming between the rooms would be "nice to have". The NOC guys did a great job, the cabeled network was rock stable (Ebene C). I mentioned no outage. See you again 24c3.

Telephony

Did it work for you? Are there features you miss?

This worked great. I would like an option to register my phone under my regular SIP number (e.g. freenet iPhone), so I am reachable under my normal phone number. -- MAILER-DAEMON

Whats up with the Eventphone Wiki? Why it wasn't public (I think last year it was?)? --Helmut 17:30, 3 January 2007 (CET)

I do miss a feature called "Conference room" for purposes of organization. There should be one conference room for every area where angels are present (e.g. SAAL 1, SAAL2, ...), and only angels and orga should be allowed to dial in with their DECT. So when there is a session in SAAL 2, the audio angels, video angel and herold dial in to the virtual conference room "Saal 2" and can then talk to each other (intercom) if there are problems or challenges. This would help in avoiding that angels have to walk throug the complete lecture hall if they have something to say to each other. Or in Saal 1: The "regie" could tell Camera 1 that it should please keep a focus on one specific speaker or to zoom further out for the sake of a more stable picture, without having to first look up the person's DECT number and calling it. This would really make things easier and less disturbing (I see no difference between a calm intercom talk and a person-to-person chat when looking at the level of disturbance). --volty 11:00, 4 January 2007 (CET)

How about using two-way-radios since this is what they're made for. --thumax 12:44, 14 January 2007 (CET)
Other solution: the same audio video angel / herald team to group up so that they go through each talk together would be great, knowing eachother helps a lot. Chip273 10:46, 5 January 2007 (CET)
Thumbs up! This is a great idea, especially for SAAL1.
Thing is that there are usually at least 4 angels per room: 1x camera, 2x audio, 1x herald. they already do team up before the session begins, but they also need to communicate/synchronize during the lectures sometimes while having different physical locations in the room. a regular radio would surely do the job but at the same time disturb the lecture (3 squeek sources), so headsets would be required. but it would still not be flexible enough if more angels are required (amount of radios). thus the thought to use the existing dect with a conference-bridge feature for purposes of flexibility. --volty 01:47, 15 January 2007 (CET)

Dialout didn't work very well for me, couldn't phone home. Wasn't there some kind of "call almost the whole world flatrate" from "alice dsl", let them sponsor you, wouldn't mind to see some nice Alice posters if I can phone for free... Chip273 10:46, 5 January 2007 (CET)

What about GSM next time? ;-)

Love the idea of having a "24C3" operator on my cellphone/mobile/handy screen.Chip273 05:54, 6 January 2007 (CET)
Not unless you hack your phone's firmware too. The cell network doesn't broadcast its name, only its MCC/MNC numbers, so your phone would say something like '001/043'. (For the same reason, put an O2-UK SIM in an old phone and it'll tell you it's on Cellnet.) You'd also be using radio frequencies illegally. Isvara 18:13, 23 March 2007 (CET)
  • Me and my friend encountered some problems calling each other up. Some calls were just not placed for whatever reason. Might have been my telephone too.

Catering

The food was okay this year, but large cheap bottles of water and perhaps (orange) juice would be greatly appreciated. --J4n 19:35, 3 January 2007 (CET)

The food was abolutely OK, but only selling 0,5l bottles felt like a rip-off. On the first day, I fell for it, but the remaining days I just came with two 1,5l bottles in my backpack. If you spend the whole day and half the night at the bcc, you need MUCH to drink. Possibilities to get _large_ quantities of liquid would be appreciated (as J4n above said) --g3nie 23:46, 3 January 2007 (CET)

+1 for larger bootles of water. 0.5l is too small, and was too expensive. The last days we also brougt in some big bottles from Plus around the corner. --Beate 01:06, 6 January 2007 (CET)

I demand Hot Dogs for next year. -- Chef 13:15, 22 January 2007 (CET)

Fnords

  • Nice calender, there are 2 'Aschermittwoch', one of them even is on a thursday (1st march)... but that's no great surprise, the calender comes from bielefeld, which doesn't exist, as we all know...


Cameras

This year many people took photos at the hackcenter without asking. Of course these photos can now be found at flickr & co. I really can't stand that and I wonder if these photos are really good for "documentation". I suggest to prohibit using cameras - at least at the hackcenter - at all to make a clear statement here - it worked with smoking too.