30C3: The Network Operation Center

Yes, there will be internet access in the way you have come to know us for – unfiltered, high-speed, high-uptime and, for us, high-fun.

Last year the Chaos Communication Congress moved back to Hamburg, to the humongous CCH. With a building that size came a new set of puzzles and challenges in the deployment of a Wi-Fi network, a backbone inside the building of at least 10 Gbps per patchroom, and 30 Gbps of global IP transit.
This year we’re going bigger than ever. More rooms in the CCH means we have to deploy more network equipment than ever before. We will have a new Wi-Fi equipment sponsor. Apart from the usual switches for thousands of Ethernet ports we will have over a dozen serious routers in place for a full MPLS-based backbone.

The link between the CCH and the outside world will be 100GigabitEthernet, a world-first for this type of conference.

Besides that we’ll offer the full gamut of behind-the-scenes services that you’re used to but may not (yet) know about. Native IPv6, and NAT64 to prepare for the post-IPv4-depletion future now. There is a colocation area planned where you can bring your server to for hooking up at GigE or 10G (bring your own SFP+) to the conference network. Next to the regular open Wi-Fi, this year there will be an additional SSID with WPA2-Enterprise that accepts any username/password combo to encrypt wireless traffic. Finally, there will again be a Privacy Officer who makes sure no personally identifying information gets logged by accident.

We’re grateful to our sponsors for helping us making this all possible. We hope you’ll join us in our efforts to make the event pleasant and memorable!

You can follow the NOC on Twitter: @c3noc.

Tags:

10 Responses to “30C3: The Network Operation Center”

1. So what’s the policy on port scanning? I ask, well, because.

2. Hurican says:

Last time i missed the 1gbit Switches in the public areas. I hope to see 1gbit switches…

• Leon says:

Indeed, this we will have 30 gigabit switches for you (which is about 1/3 of them).

3. Nick Farr says:

What brand of SFP+ do you recommend? Do I have to bring my own fiber? (I ask because sometimes the ones in my kit arent recognized by Cisco switches)

• momo says:

Hey nick,

I’m in no way from the NOC, but I have asked the same question to frapzzt:
      As far as I know their side should be SR juniper branded sfp+., your side shouldn’t matter at all. I’m quite sure you’ll have to bring your own fiber, If you somehow can’t manage to get a fiber from the states to germany let me know what you need to 30c3 @ hackathon . de and I’ll bring some for you.
      But as mentioned before I’m not from the NOC, so no warranty on anything.

4. Andy says:

How many MIMO streams wil the wlan hardware from the new sponsor support?
    Will 802.11ac also be available?

• Arjan says:

@ Andy: we’re using dual radio (2.4GHz and 5GHz concurrent) 802.11n 3*3 MIMO accesspoints.

802.11ac is not very useful for high-density deployments like at 30C3. We are using 20MHz channels in the 5GHz-band in order to support as much clients as possible. 802.11ac mainly gets its performance boost from using wider-channels (80MHz); that only leaves 256QAM which should give about 15-25% performance boost, but only works when the clients have enough signal to work with.

The first wave of 802.11ac products do not support Multi-User MIMO which would have been very useful for the deployment at 30C3.